Wednesday, September 16, 2015

MINE BLOWING EXPERIENCE

by Robert "Bob" Lewandowski

Detonation: pushing the button that set off the
explosives located in the coal field in the background. 
Crane at work. Seeing massive equipment like this at work was awesome.  
South Eastern Montana Development Corporation Executive Director Jim Atchison is a great resource for learning more about Colstrip, Montana. Within the first month of my arrival, Jim stopped by my office to introduce himself and the community he serves. I was promptly invited to the Energy Open where I had the opportunity to network and meet a host of other leaders, elected officials and decision makers. Most importantly, I was given the opportunity to tour the unique facilities of the Western Energy Company at the Rosebud Mine.

To say the least, my tour was a "mine blowing" experience. Jim Atchison and Mike Coryell provided a personal touch to the tour by providing fast facts. It was a crash course on the coal industry in Montana. I was also fortunate to have great tour guides like Dan Munoz and Gary Parry. Between the four individuals, I was carded, photographed, suited with a new wardrobe. Most importantly, I was impressed by their passion for responsible energy development.

Jim Atchison and Mike Coryell
This industry supports our school district in so many ways. Even the tour exemplifies this support of education and the pride this industry has for the youth here at Colstrip when Dan and Gary solicited bids for the individual who would have the privilege to detonate the explosives. The dollars collected throughout the year go to the Colstrip High School Scholarship Program.



Energy Open Tour Group 2015 of the Rosebud Mine
After taking the tour I was reassured that Colstrip is a special place. I can see why it is unofficially called the "Energy Capital of Montana."  Well done Colstrip!  Thank you for your support of the students and educational system in our community.


















GO COLTS! GO FILLIES! 

MAKE DUST OR EAT DUST!

"Get out in front and stay there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment