Thursday, April 21, 2016

A Cowboy Poet Comes To Town

by Robert "Bob" Lewandowski

Well he isn't a poet laureate, but he is pretty darn close here in Rosebud County. Wally McRae dropped by my office this afternoon. I am so proud of the fact that I thought I would share his visit. Mr. McRae probably didn't come to see me as much as he came to see our Business Manager, Joanne Schrupp as they are long time friends; however, the fact that I had a poet in the house is what matters.

In my life before becoming a school administrator, I was a language arts teacher. I taught English at a small school in Harrison, Nebraska called Sioux County High School. Those were some of the best days, with some great memories. At any rate, I loved reading poetry by Baxter Black and other western poets. More importantly, I had a number of students interpret their poetry in the classroom and at forensic meets across Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. I have never met Baxter, but I now can say I have met Wally McRae. Meeting Mr. McRae gives his poem "Reincarnation" new meaning.

During his visit, he spent some of his time telling me a story about his worst teacher ever. He reminisced of the day that this infamous teacher (not to be named),  came to school and found that the mousetrap, located in the closet, had caught its pray. She had to leave the room for a bit and asked one of the students to stand guard and report any misbehavior by the class. She announced to the class that if anyone misbehaved, they would be eating the dead mouse when she returned. It wasn't long and she had returned as promised. She asked her identified classroom guard if there was anything to report. He had no choice but to identify a varmint that used foul language. Well, that being said, the teacher picked up the trap with the mouse dangling from the other end. She held the trap above the student and before she could command her follow through, the young man reluctantly drew back and then as if he had no choice lunged at the mouse with both hands and shoving the critter into his mouth with only the tail dangling from his lips.

I asked Wally if this was tall tale. He said it was true, he swears to it.

At any rate, I  immensely enjoyed this story and several others he told about his friend Baxter Black! Today is definitely one for the books.

GO COLTS! GO FILLIES! 

MAKE DUST OR EAT DUST!

"Get out in front and stay there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment