Monday, October 19, 2015

A Little Clowning Around

by Robert "Bob" Lewandowski

During October 5-October 9, 2015 our district celebrated American Indian Week. One of the culminating events of the week was the Pow Wow. I have attended a number of Pow Wows on the Flathead Reservation, but I have never seen a "Clown Dance." I am sure every tribe has different customs, but this dance was new to me as new superintendent and neighbor to the Northern Cheyenne. As the dance began, a number of characters came out on the floor and began to dance. When I say characters, I mean colorful to the ridiculous types. There were old ladies, young ladies, old men, a nun and several I couldn't quite make out. As I was watching and taking pictures, two hideous looking clowns came up to me, sat my camera on the bleachers, gave me a doll and took me out on floor. I was a little embarrassed to say the least, but enjoyed the fun and played along. I am sure it was funny to everyone watching as the student body roared in laughter.

What happened during the dance I find just as interesting as the dance itself. Just to let everyone know how fast news spreads, within minutes you could view my photo with these two ladies on Snap Chat, Facebook, Instagram and as well as a host of other social media on the internet. Proving that the student body and probably a few employees were having fun with the moment. I even saw pictures of me dancing with these two beauties in our local news paper (the Independent Press). What is most surprising, is when I went through my own photos taken of the Pow Wow. Someone had picked up my camera and captured me "clowning around" as well. So if you feel left out, I am sharing these photos with you. I don't know who took the photos, but well done.

All in all, the Pow Wow was exceptional. I shared many photos of the Pow Wow on the multi-media signs in our buildings as well as the District Facebook. J.D. Oldmouse did an excellent job as the master of ceremonies. He not only made the Pow Wow educational, but fun.

Well done everyone! I can't wait for next year.

GO COLTS! GO FILLIES! 

MAKE DUST OR EAT DUST!

"Get out in front and stay there!"




No comments:

Post a Comment