Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Merchant visits Colstrip High School

by Robert "Bob" Lewandowski

Shylock about to take his pound of flesh for a debt not paid.
William Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice" was presented by Montana Shakespeare in the Parks on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 to  the High School.  Colstrip was the 5th stop on the year long schedule for the organization. Like so many other performances I have seen by Montana Shakespeare in the Parks, "The Merchant of Venice" was very well done. In fact, because it was presented to Colstrip so early in their schedule, I think it had a fresh vibe that I haven't seen before.

I drove over to the high school and dropped in on the play to take a few photos and then leave. I didn't know they were presenting the "The Merchant of Venice." Once I arrived I had to stay until the end of the play to take in one of my favorite Shakespearian quotes:
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice as blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
Portia warns Skylock not to take more than a pound of flesh
 less his fortune be forfeited.
It is a quote my father has shared with me on a few occasions when considering the actions of others. The play has a lot to offer our students as well. It outlines some great themes for discussion: identity, love, loyalty, regret, persecution, justice and money. Montana Shakespeare in the Parks provides a great study guide on-line for our students to review. I hope the photos taken capture some of these themes.

Well done students and faculty! Your attention and focus throughout the performance was exceptional! And well done Shakespeare in the Parks! Your performance ranks among some the the best I've seen performed by MSIP over the past 10 years.

Mercy is granted Skylock that he would not grant Antonio.

Portia is awash with suitors that must choose between
 three caskets of silver, gold and lead.
Her father stipulates that if the suitor picks the right casket, he gets Portia.

Prince of Morocco
"Who chooseth me shall gain what many men desire."

Prince of Arrogon
"Who chooseth me shall get as much as he deserves."

Bassanio
"Who chooseth me must give all he hath."

GO COLTS! GO FILLIES! 

MAKE DUST OR EAT DUST!

"Get out in front and stay there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment